As I write this, the cake is just out of the oven. It smells delicious. I lie. They smell delicious, for I made a loaf cake and a round sponge. If only because I didn’t have the perfect baking tin.
I’d been looking for a recipe for a flourless lemony cake for a week or so, and had found various versions of a cake made with eggs, ground almonds, sugar and lemon zest. In the end I settled on a recipe in one of my absolute favourite magazines and set to adaptation (if only because I had slightly different ingredients in the kitchen).
The original recipe is http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/almond-cake-in-spiced-citrus-syrup
Lemony almondy cake
Grease and line a deep round 23cm springform tin. Or a shallower one and a 1lb loaf tin.
Oven Gas Mark 4. I had it on 5 by mistake to start with, and the top of the cake on the top shelf is slightly darker brown than I would have liked.
6 eggs, separated
200g caster sugar plus 1 TBsp
200g ground almonds
- Add the TBsp of sugar to the bowl with the egg whites and whisk till it forms stiff peaks
- In another bowl, whisk the yolks and the remaining sugar together till it is pale pale creamy and quite thick in texture
- Stir the lemon zest and ground almonds into the yolky mixture
- Add about 1/4 of the egg white to the almondy mixture to loosen it slightly. Mix it in.
- Now fold the almondy mixture and the rest of whisked egg whites together.
- Pour into the baking tins and bake for about 40mins, or till a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat all the ingredients in a small pan
- Stir until the sugar dissolves
- Boil for around 5-10 minutes, or until good and syrupy