So, when Tesco builds a new store, they do all manner of strange discounts. We have a new Tesco in the valley and today there were bags and bags of broccoli for only 10p each, all marked ‘TEST’, but all looking like fresh and scrummy broccoli.
They also had enormous whole salmon reduced from £35 to £10. I think they were about 8lb weight. But since G’s sister had already bought a whole salmon earlier in the week and stuffed our freezer full of salmon steaks I resisted that particular temptation.
And grabbed the bags of broccoli. And a wedge of stilton. You see where I’m heading don’t you?
Broccoli and stilton soup
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium large potato, chopped into small chunks
about 1.5l veg stock
1 large head of broccoli, cut into small-ish chunks
about 100g stilton in chunks
- Sweat the onion in a heavy based saucepan with a wee bit of oil or butter.
- Add the potato and sweat for a few minutes.
- Add the hot stock (or boiling water from the kettle and a stock cube). Cook for about 10 minutes, till the potato is cooked.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further 4 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked.
- Add the stilton and smoosh it all up with the electric zizzer.